A while ago I wrote an article about how people are saying the Coronavirus is making their back and neck pain worse– although we hope those people got the help they needed to fix their problem, they probably didn’t. A very common response we hear from people when asked if they’re going to look for help is “well, I’m just going to wait until the virus is over.” We realize we sound like a broken record at this point, but our motto for the past three or four months has been the same– if you’re waiting to fix your problems until the Coronavirus is over, you could be waiting a very long time. Did anyone think it would last this long? No. Not unless you were a psychic. It goes to show that you really should focus on your health now, while you still can.
We realize so many people are working from home right now, or just self-isolating. A few of our very own staff members have had to get creative while working remote as well! Today I’m going to tell you a few easy and quick tips to help your back pain if you’re isolated in your home.
1. Make sure your keyboard and mouse are at a good, comfortable height for you. You want your arm close to the side of your body when you use a mouse. Not having the proper placement could strain your nerves, and result in headaches/upper back pain.
2. If you’re going to be sitting in a chair for a long period of time, make sure you’re sitting with your back touching the back of the chair. Good posture is important always, but especially now.
3. Go outside. We cannot stress this enough– if you have the opportunity to leave your apartment or home safely, do it! This is a very isolating time for many people, and leaving your one spot every day is not only physically good for you, but mentally good as well. This doesn’t necessarily mean getting fresh air, although we always recommend that. Even if you’re just walking up and down your hall, or opening up a window, it’s good to try and get out of your own little bubble. We all know, too, inactivity is the worst thing for chronic pain.
4. Break a pattern. As I previously mentioned, inactivity is very bad for your physical and mental state. So, breaking a pattern can mean moving to a different place to work or relax, taking a five minute stretching break, or just putting your focus on something else for a while. Breaking patterns has been scientifically proven to make you more productive, as well as less stressed!
5. Drink plenty of water and eat well. A healthy diet is very important, now more than ever. I hear from people constantly that they’re “so bad about forgetting to drink water”. It happens! It’s very easy to forget to do this, but the benefits and the way you will feel once you get a healthy diet and proper water intake is worth it and more. Water makes up around two thirds of who we are, and is required for every single process in our body – which probably explains why we feel a lot better when we drink enough of it. Drinking water plays an enormous role in the health of your back and spine. Once you start to drink the recommended eight cups a day, you’ll notice (1) a decrease in the soreness in your back, (2) you’ll feel ‘healthier’- your eyes may not feel as tired, and you’ll feel more alert, and (3) your skin will look clearer, and you may even lose some weight! Always an added bonus.
6. Get help from a physical therapist– There isn’t a faster way to end and prevent back pain than seeing a good physical therapist that specializes in back pain and sciatica. They can perform treatment that will help reduce muscle spasms, restore movement to stiff and painful joints and help properly strengthen your muscles so that you can return to the activities you love, without back pain! If you’re finally ready to stop suffering with back pain, call our clinic at (512) 730-0231 to schedule a free Discovery Session with one of our Doctors of Physical Therapy. They are also back pain experts, and can pinpoint your exact problem and tell you what the best next steps are for you! This session can be in person or virtual. Our virtual sessions are secure and if you have any hesitations with the technology aspect, our tech experts are always standing by to assist you with anything.
If you’re wanting to learn more about back pain and how we can help, our Virtual Back Pain and Sciatica Workshop is perfect for you!!
Our Virtual Workshop will be held on Thursday, October 1st at 4:00 PM, and is FREE of charge!
If you’re interested in attending, all you have to do it go to https://naturalfittherapy.com/virtualbackpainworkshop-blog. From there you can learn more about exactly what you’ll learn in the workshop, as well as fill out a short application form so we can get to know you a bit better!
If you have any issues applying, call our clinic at (512) 730-0231.