Let’s start off by taking a second to “check” up on our winter. For each of the below that you feel applies to your winter lifestyle this past winter, put a check in the box:
I took the winter off from physical activity, it was just so dang cold out
I feel like I just slept all winter, I just get so tired during the winter months
It was too cold to go outside and do much of anything
The booze kept me warm from time to time
My family loves comfort foods… let’s just say I was comfortable this last winter
Do ANY… or even MANY of these apply to your winter routine this past winter?
Sadly, for many of us modern Americans… MANY would apply…
Now, if you noticed a few extra pounds lingering around… YOU… This article is here to help!
Since the winter is getting further behind us, and as we enter further into everyone’s favorite time of the year… SPRING TIME… its time for some cleaning! Well… maybe not in the way that first comes to mind when referencing spring. I mean it’s time to clean up your nutrition!!!
Don’t worry… SPRING CLEANING NEVER TASTED THIS GOOD!
The Gobbler Burger with Sweet Tater Fries
The Good that Goes In:
• 1-pound ground lean turkey meat
• 2 tablespoons of scallions (finely chopped)
• 2 tablespoons of cilantro (finely chopped)
• ¼ cup bread crumbs
• ¼ teaspoon sea salt
• ¼ teaspoon turmeric
• ½ teaspoon ground pepper
• 2 egg whites
• ¼ – ½ teaspoon blackened seasoning (based on preference)
• 1 medium mushroom (finely chopped)
• 4 hamburger whole wheat hamburger buns (Hawaiian bread is delicious with this)
• Garnishes (onion, lettuce or spinach, pickles, avocado, dressing, etc…)
• 2 large sweet potatoes with skin (cut into wedges)
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• ½ teaspoon sea salt
• ½ teaspoon ground pepper
• ¼ teaspoon paprika
• ¼ garlic powder
• Couple pinches of rosemary (optional)
Making Delicious Happen:
1. Start off by preheating your oven to 425 degrees
2. While that warms, put your ground turkey meat, egg whites, scallions, cilantro, bread crumbs, mushroom, ground pepper, sea salt, turmeric, and blackened seasoning in a large mixing bowl and mix
3. In a separate mixing bowl, place your sweet potato wedges, sea salt, ground pepper, paprika, and garlic powder in
4. Lightly drizzle the 3 tablespoons of olive oil and mix your sweet potato mix
5. After laying down a sheet of wax paper on your baking sheet, lay down a single layer of the seasoned wedges on the wax paper (spread evenly)
6. Once oven has reached 425 degrees, place your sweet potatoes on in for approximately 18-24 minutes (about halfway through pull your baking sheet out and sprinkle on rosemary if desired)
7. Now, over the next 5 or so minutes, take your turkey mix and form 4-5 patties and place them on medium skillet
8. Cook at medium heat until patty has a core temperature of 180 degrees, about 12-15 minutes (outsides should have a light golden brown)
9. If you like your buns toasted, try throwing them in the oven for the last 5 or so minutes of baking
10. After the sweet potatoes have baked, and your patties lightly browned, assemble your burger with your preferred garnishes; allowing time for the sweet potato fries to cool
11. DIG IN!!!
This spring, let’s try to…
Keep an eye out for more delicious recipes to help you on your health and wellness journey!